Friday, April 20, 2018

Review: Ethan Axel Andrews vs. Nick Flex Part 1 (Muscleboy Wrestling)

Full disclosure: This video was sent to me by Muscleboy Wrestling.

Ethan Axel Andrews vs. Nick Flex was, hands down, my most most anticipated video of the new Muscleboy Wrestling catalogue. I mentioned that in my Aspen vs Gabriel Cross review, but didn't explain why. Maybe it's obvious. It's the guys. This is a superstar match, as big as Nick Flex vs. Justin Powers. Maybe even bigger, since that was intra-organization, while this is inter-organization.

It's a rough and sweaty battle between
two of the toughest guys around.

This is one of those reviews that can't be done fairly without a little bit of spoiling. Even the title is giving you a slight spoiler. You are hereby warned.


I did question whether I should even review this, since there's a Part 2 promised. However, Part 2 is not available on this catalogue, so I decided I would treat this as a standalone video since that's how it's being sold.

I obviously love the idea of seeing different underground organizations battle it out. I wrote two Battle of the Wrestling Stars series because I love the idea so much. So when Nick calls Ethan ‘Axel’ and says he finally crawled out of the “Underground” into a “real ring”, it elevates this video immediately. I didn't know he'd say that, but I'm really, really glad he did. Awesome.

UCW actually appeared in my first Battle of the Wrestling Stars, facing Rock Hard Wrestling. That was fantasy. With Nick’s opening lines, this video makes it a bit of reality. While Ethan mocks Nick’s ‘real ring’ comment, because he's only viewing it literally (they're not in a ring), it makes sense figuratively. First, Nick obviously knows what a ring is, but anywhere he fights is the ‘real ring’. Second, it's a scathing commentary on UCW, its chaotic style and its scruffy roster, essentially calling it inferior.

The handsome hunk is wrong to look down at UCW, but not wrong that he makes any space a real ring. Nick Flex is the King of MBW. He's the most dominant wrestler they have. If I was doing a BOTWS 3, Nick would be the main man, facing Kid Karisma in the final match. So if Ethan can defeat him, he's defeating the best of MBW. And Nick has made it such that Ethan winning means that UCW is defeating MBW. Risky move, but I like the confidence.

It's a real-life Battle of the Wrestling Stars.

Ethan's bulging and popping.

Nick's swinging and swaying.

Not surprisingly, the guys look great. Nick’s big dick is swinging in his thin briefs, while Ethan’s popping in silver trunks. It's not a physical mismatch. Although Nick acts like a big man, he's actually not. The MBW star actually looks thinner than usual, but he's still freaking hot. Ethan looks bigger, so there's no physical advantage.

And the wrestling is great, as you'd expect. It's MBW-style, with rough body work, smooth mat holds and big power moves. The guys are skilled, maximizing the space and convincingly selling when they're on the receiving end. Nick is especially amazing as he struggles to deal with an impossibly resilient Ethan. They're sweaty and exhausted, impressing me at every turn.

Unless this is part of a broader MBW-UCW crossover, I felt like Nick should and would win. I said that RHW made a mistake putting the belt on cross-promotional guys over building up their exclusive talent. Protect your roster. I still believe that, so my expectation was a hard-fought Nick win. I wasn't right, but I wasn't wrong, either. How is that possible? Well, there's a reason I titled this review as Part 1.

Nick might learn to respect UCW.

Always love this position.

It'll take determination to break down those muscles.

This is a great video, but I have to say that there are two narrative choices that keep it from being perfect for me. One is the pacing of the falls and the other is the inconclusive ending. These guys are so tough and work so hard, but I feel like these choices don't reflect or reward that effort.

They're inter-connected and you can cut the pacing issue in half and solve the ending issue entirely by stopping at 26:04. The only good thing you miss is the challenge to continue this in a real ring. And you don't need that, because I just told you it's coming. I would've been looking at an early front runner at the 2018 Caveys, but maybe that'll have to be the sequel.

The lean stud gets bent.

OOF! OOF! CRACK!

Ethan go BOOM!

In the end, this worked perfectly for me during the first 26:04, and that's what I'll re-watch. I will absolutely jump on Part 2 when it's released, because these studs put on one helluva show. I think will be even better based on the real-ring setting and what I anticipate will be a 100% conclusive ending. I'm #TeamNick for the reasons I stated, but if the guys work this hard and this well again, it'll be worth it no matter what.

What are other bloggers saying? I'll let you know that Joe and at least two commenters on his post clearly didn't share my nitpicking point-of-view at all. They all loved it without any reservations. Maybe you will, too.


So that's my take. What's yours? Should I have withheld judgment? Did you watch it? What was your reaction? Am I being unfairly fussy? The comment box is just waiting for your opinion!

Alex

2 comments:

  1. The tension leading to the first fall was exhilarating (I was as surprised as Nick was at long it took) but I would've preferred giving that last submission more space, especially if next part is only one fall. Excited for part 2 though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Yes, the fist fall was perfect. The second and fourth are what I meant by pacing issues. Both of the follow up falls came too quickly for me. I think too much importance was put on them being tied.

      Delete